Utah Division of Wildlife Resources Announces Applications for Fall Hunting Season in Utah Will Open, Location and Date Unspecified | Photo courtesy of DWR, St. George News
ST. GEORGE- If you didn’t draw a deer or elk license in the draw earlier this year — and you’re still interested in hunting deer or elk this fall — your last chance to get a permit starts in two weeks.
Permits are assigned on a first-come, first-served basis, and you must have a valid hunting license or combination license to purchase a permit.
According to a press release issued by the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources, the permit sale dates are as follows:
- General season archery elk licenses – for adults and youth – will be available beginning at 8 a.m. on July 12. General season archery elk licenses are unlimited.
- General season licenses for male elk – for adults and young – will be available starting at 8 a.m. on July 14. There are 17,500 permits for bull elk and an unlimited number of permits for young. You must be 17 or younger on July 31 to purchase one of the youth permits.
- General season licenses for male elk – for adults and young – will be available starting at 8 a.m. on July 26. There are 15,000 permits available.
- General season deer licenses remaining after the big game draw will be available beginning at 8 a.m. on July 19. A total of 954 permits remain.
- Bow hunting licenses for the general youth season will also be available at 8 a.m. on July 19. These permits are not left by any type of draw – they are reserved each year specifically for young hunters.
Limited entry permit for bison and deer and pronghorn
Over-the-counter deer, pronghorn and bison limited entry permits will all be available beginning at 8 a.m. on July 12. bison unit licenses are unlimited. (You must complete an online orientation course before you can purchase one of the bison permits.)
You can get more details on permits (including which hunting units they are for and how many are available for each unit) on the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources website. Although the webpage is not actively updated after the permits go on sale, you can see the total number of permits remaining before the start of the sale days.
How to buy one of these permits?
Those interested in purchasing a permit can purchase it online, at a DWR office, or from any available licensing agent. However, as these permits go on sale from 8 a.m., be sure to check the hours of your nearest available agent before heading there. You can find all licensing agents on the DWR website.
There will also be a virtual waiting room for those who buy online, to better manage the pressure of the large number of people wanting to buy permits. If a customer refreshes or leaves the queue page, they may lose their place in the queue and have to start over.
“If you missed the big game draw or didn’t make it, this is your last chance to hunt big game in Utah this fall,” said Lindy Varney, licensing coordinator for the fauna of the DWR. “Don’t forget you can mentor a youngster on these hunts, making it a great opportunity to pass on your love of the outdoors to the next generation.”
Be sure to familiarize yourself with the 2022 Utah Big Game Field Regulations guide before you start scouting and planning your hunt for the fall. It can be found online, along with the 2022 Big Game Application Guide and information on 2022 Woodless Hunts.
Copyright St.George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2022, all rights reserved.