To obtain an event in the Outdoors calendar, contact Brad Dokken at (701) 780-1148, (800) 477-6572 ext. 1148 or by email at
. The deadline is 5 p.m. on Wednesday.
- February 19: Snowshoe Lacing Workshop, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Rydell National Wildlife Refuge Visitor Center, 17788 349th St. SE, Erskine, Minnesota. Participants will learn to lace their own pair of Ojibwa-style snowshoes. Class limited to 12 participants and pre-registration required by February 11th. Organized by Friends of Rydell and Glacial Ridge Refuges. For further information: Lynda Knutsen, (218) 689-2430; or email [email protected] and include “Snowshoe Class” in the subject line.
- February 26: Candlelight Ski and Owl Prowl Event, 6-9:30 p.m., Rydell National Wildlife Refuge, 17788 349th St. SE, Erskine, Minnesota. The Golden Pond and Church Lake trails will be groomed and lit with lights. Several owl call stations will be set up along the trails in an attempt to generate a response. The trails will be open for skiing, snowshoeing or hiking. Organized by Friends of Rydell and Glacial Ridge Refuges Association. The event will be canceled or postponed if the temperatures are below freezing or the wind chill is in the double digits below zero. For further information: Gregg Knutsen, (218) 686-4329 or [email protected]
- February 26: Snofest and Snowmobile North Dakota State Ride, Langdon, ND. For further information: Cody Schlittenhard, (701) 370-0629; Where
- February 26: Northwest Angle Edge Riders Snow Rally, 11 a.m.-4 p.m., Flag Island Resort on Lake of the Woods. Floor raffle, door prizes, radar race, Goose Bump Jump, 50/50 raffle, lunch and more. Rally Ride at 4 p.m. Friday, Feb. 25; Meet at the Flag Island Resort. $5 and $20 raffle tickets sold at select businesses in Roseau and Lake of the Woods counties. Information:
- March 3-6: 57th Annual Red River Valley Sportsman Boat, Camping & Vacation Show, Fargodome, 1800 N. University Drive, Fargo. Show times: 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. on March 3, 12 p.m. to 9 p.m. on March 4, 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. on March 5 and 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on March 6. Admission: $12 adults, $2.50 6 to 12 years old, free admission 5 years old and under. Information:
- March 5: 16th Annual Warren SnowDaze Vintage Snowmobile Show and Ride, American Legion, Warren, Minnesota. Registration for the snowmobile show from 9 a.m. to noon, judging at noon, trophies at 12:30 p.m. and vintage ride at 1 p.m.; door prizes throughout the day. Information: (218) 791-5984.
- March 13: Family Fun Day, 12-3 p.m., Larimore Dam Recreation Area near Larimore, North Dakota. Ice fishing tournament for youth 15 and under, ice curling, snow painting, goal shooting competition and various other games and activities throughout the afternoon. Chili, hot dogs, hot chocolate and water will be available for voluntary donation. The event will take place at Willys in case of bad weather. For further information: Curt, (218) 791-0886; John, (218) 791-9564; or Allen, (218) 779-7372.
- April 8: Glenn Allen Paur Lecture, 12:20 p.m., UND Memorial Union Small Ballroom, 2901 University Ave., Grand Forks. The keynote speaker is Steve Williams, UND alumnus, president of the Wildlife Management Institute, and former director of the US Fish and Wildlife Service, who will speak on “Forty Years in an Evolving Wildlife Profession.”
- 12 February : Ice Buster Daze Fishing Derby, Red Lake River to Crookston. Registration begins at 11 a.m. in Central Park, with fishing from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. $25 per hole entry fee, including a Sloppy Joe dinner; raffle and dinner from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. at the Crookston Inn. Ticket sales limited to 350; 17th place fishing prizes and many raffle prizes will be offered (no need to be present to win raffle prizes). Tickets/info: Brian, (218) 281-7762; or Hardware Hank, (218) 281-1749.
- February 19: Springsteel Resort Fishing Derby, 12-3 p.m., Muskeg Bay on Lake of the Woods at Springsteel Resort north of Warroad, Minn. Prizes up to fourth place for the biggest walleye, northern pike and perch, and a $200 prize for the biggest burbot. Nearly 60 raffle prizes, including the first prize of $10,000 in cash; does not need to be present for the raffle prizes. Tickets: $20, available at all Warroad gas stations and many businesses, as well as Denny’s Outdoor Sports and Holiday in Roseau, Minnesota, and Rivers Edge Station and the American Legion in Greenbush, Minnesota. For further information: Springsteel Resort, (218) 386-1000; Warroad Chamber, (218) 386-3543; or online at
- March 9, 16, 17: Catfish University, 6:30-8:30 p.m., Expressway Inn and Suites, 4303 17th Ave. S., Fargo. Red River Catfish Guide Brad Durick will lead three two-hour sessions: Part 1, Introduction to Catfishing; Part 2, Catching Catfish; Part 3, Advanced Catfishing. Cost: $20 per seminar or $50 for all three; those who register for all three sessions will participate in a prize draw which will be drawn on March 17th. Information:
The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources is continuing its hunting, fishing, and outdoor learning webinar series through the end of February. The webinars, which are free, start at noon on Wednesday and pre-registration is required at
. The webinars are also recorded and available online. The next webinars are:
- February 16: Introduction to maple syrup, sap harvesting tricks, sap boiling and bottling results.
- February 23: The basics of bowhunting, on selecting a compound hunting bow and the bow accessories needed to hunt effectively; a great program for those ready to switch from target archery to hunter archery.