To obtain an event in the Outdoors calendar, contact Brad Dokken at (701) 780-1148, (800) 477-6572 ext. 1148 or by email at
. The deadline is 5 p.m. on Wednesday.
- February 26: Candlelight Ski and Owl Prowl Event, 6-10 p.m., Rydell National Wildlife Refuge, 17788 349th St. SE, Erskine, Minnesota. The Golden Pond and Church Lake trails will be groomed and lit with lights. Several owl call stations will be set up along the trails in an attempt to generate a response. The trails will be open for skiing, snowshoeing or hiking. Organized by Friends of Rydell and Glacial Ridge Refuges Association. Pre-registration is required and the event will be canceled or postponed if temperatures drop below zero or the wind chill drops to double digits below zero. To accommodate as many people as possible, reservations will be taken for two time slots – 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. or 8 p.m. to 10 p.m. Info: Gregg Knutsen, (218) 686-4329 or [email protected]
- February 26: Snofest and Snowmobile North Dakota State Ride, Langdon, ND. For further information: Cody Schlittenhard, (701) 370-0629; Where
- February 26: Northwest Angle Edge Riders Snow Rally, 11 a.m.-4 p.m., Flag Island Resort on Lake of the Woods. Floor raffle, door prizes, radar race, Goose Bump Jump, 50/50 raffle, lunch and more. Rally Ride at 4 p.m. Friday, Feb. 25; Meet at the Flag Island Resort. $5 and $20 raffle tickets sold at select businesses in Roseau and Lake of the Woods counties. Information:
- March 3-6: 57th Annual Red River Valley Sportsman Boat, Camping and Vacation Show, Fargodome, 1800 N. University Drive, Fargo. Show times: 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. on March 3, 12 p.m. to 9 p.m. on March 4, 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. on March 5 and 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on March 6. Admission: $12 adults, $2.50 6 to 12 years old, free admission 5 years old and under. Information:
- March 5: 16th Annual Warren SnowDaze Vintage Snowmobile Show and Ride, American Legion, Warren, Minnesota. Registration for the snowmobile show from 9 a.m. to noon, judging at noon, trophies at 12:30 p.m. and vintage ride at 1 p.m.; door prizes throughout the day. Information: (218) 791-5984.
- March 13: Family Fun Day, 12-3 p.m., Larimore Dam Recreation Area near Larimore, North Dakota. Ice fishing tournament for youth 15 and under, ice curling, snow painting, goal shooting competition and various other games and activities throughout the afternoon. Chili, hot dogs, hot chocolate and water will be available for voluntary donation. The event will take place at Willys in case of bad weather. For further information: Curt, (218) 791-0886; John, (218) 791-9564; or Allen, (218) 779-7372.
- April 8: Glenn Allen Paur Lecture, 12:20 p.m., UND Memorial Union Small Ballroom, 2901 University Ave., Grand Forks. The keynote speaker is Steve Williams, UND alumnus, president of the Wildlife Management Institute, and former director of the US Fish and Wildlife Service, who will speak on “Forty Years in an Evolving Wildlife Profession.”
- March 9, 16, 17: Catfish University, 6:30-8:30 p.m., Expressway Inn and Suites, 4303 17th Ave. S., Fargo. Red River Catfish Guide Brad Durick will lead three two-hour sessions: Part 1, Introduction to Catfishing; Part 2, Catching Catfish; Part 3, Advanced Catfishing. Cost: $20 per seminar or $50 for all three; those who register for all three sessions will participate in a prize draw which will be drawn on March 17th. Information:
The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources is continuing its hunting, fishing, and outdoor learning webinar series through the end of February. The webinars, which are free, start at noon on Wednesday and pre-registration is required at
. The webinars are also recorded and available online. The next webinars are:
- February 23: The basics of bowhunting, on selecting a compound hunting bow and the bow accessories needed to hunt effectively; a great program for those ready to switch from target archery to hunter archery.